AR4011 / AR4012 Gravity + Reaction, 1 and 2
AR4013 / AR4014 Gravity + Reaction, 3 and 4
AR4015 / AR4016 Gravity + Reaction, 5 and 6
AR4041 / AR4042 Assembly + Techniques, 1 and 2
AR4043 Assembly + Techniques, 3
AR4045 / AR4046 Assembly + Techniques, 4 and 5
My current PhD practice-based research centres on the overlap of structures (field of engineering) and architecture, with a particular focus on Structure Prototype models based on Reciprocal Frames
in timber, emphasising their flexibility and adaptability as building structures, with a focus on the material and light.
In 2022, I presented my practice-based research and models of ‘Structure as Prototype: Multi-layer Reciprocal Frames’ at the ‘Critical Practice’ Exhibition at 5th International Conference on (ICSA2022, Aalborg, Denmark, 6-8 July).
From 2008 to 2018 in my role as a Lecturer at SAUL, I developed and implemented a course teaching both architecture and engineering students (first year) in collaboration with the School of Engineering, CIVIL @ UL, focusing on the overlaps of both disciplines. In my collaboration with the engineering faculty, I introduced the use of sketching and physical modelling of ‘structures in action’ with an emphasis on engineering as our main two teaching tools. This approach was the basis of research which I presented at the 1st International Conference on Structures and Architecture (ICSA2010), Guimares, Portugal, July 2010) and in the UK and Ireland at ‘Recto-Verso: Redefining the Sketchbook’ Conference (Lincoln, 2011) and the 1st Conference for the All-Ireland Architecture Research Group, AIARG (DIT, Dublin, 2012) respectively.
My research on engineering drawings and the infrastructure works at the hydro-electric power station, Ardnacrusha, Co. Clare, was published as a contribution to The Art and Architecture of Ireland, Volume IV, Yale University Press (2014) and presented at the public programme of ‘Making Ireland Modern’, St Peter’s Cork, 2016, and ICOMOS (International Council on Monuments and Sites) Ireland in 2018.
- Matters of Abstraction, Katholieke Universiteit (KU) Leuven, 3rd February 2023.
- Critical Practice, 5th International Conference on Structures and Architecture (ICSA2022), University of Aalborg, Denmark, 6-8 July 2022.
- Earth as Client, 9th AIARG, Conference | SAUL, Limerick, 23+24 January 2020. ‘AGE: Assembly, Gravity and Environment’, Co-presenter with Graham Petrie.
- Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture / European Association for Architectural Education (ACSA/EAAE) Teachers’ Conference, University of Antwerp, 2019. Conference Paper.
- Emerging Research, the 2nd Annual Conference of the All-Ireland Architectural Research Group (AIARG), Limerick, January 2013. ‘Design thinking through making – structured environments’, joint paper presented with Graham Petrie.
- ‘Untitled 2010,’ 1st Annual All-Ireland Architectural Research Group (AIARG), DIT School of Architecture, Dublin, 20th/21st January 2012.
- Recto-Verso: Redefining the Sketchbook, University of Lincoln, UK, 10th – 11th Feb 2011.
- 1st International Conference on Structures and Architecture (ICSA2010), Guimares, Portugal, 2010.
Seminars and Workshops
- ‘Rethinking the Crit,’ Book launch and seminar, TU Dublin, 22nd September 2022. Co-organised.
- Studio and Problem Based Learning (PBL) Pedagogy Workshop, Faculty of Science and Engineering, UL Seminar, 11th April 2022. Speaker.
- Closing Seminar, ‘Timber Futures,’ Solstice Arts Centre, Navan, March 2022. Speaker.
- ‘Rethinking the Crit,’ Seminar and Workshop TU Dublin, 29/30 Jan 2020. Co-organised.
I worked with Grafton Architects from my graduation year 1998 until 2004. I worked on several infrastructure (bridges), schools and university projects, including the Università Luigi Bocconi, Milan. Since the establishment of my practice, Miriam Dunn Architect (miriamdunnarchitect.com) in 2006, I have worked on several competitions and small-scale structures which have been developed as large-scale prototypes (@miriamdunnarchitect)
House A: Multi-layer Reciprocal Frame’ is currently shortlisted in the Wood Awards Ireland (WAI), 2022